Sunday, August 1, 2010

Georgia Cooking in Colorado Kitchen

For my birthday I got the cookbook Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen by Trisha Yearwood.  My favorite song by Trisha, Believe Me Baby I Lied, circa 1996 was one of the first country tunes I ever heard.  And I have never looked back.  Except when I listen to Tupac or Pink or Daughtry. But I digress.  Her cookbook is awesome.  You don't have to be a cook to cook most of the stuff in it.  None of it is intimidating.  Caveat, very little of it is good for you. 

The first thing I cooked out of this book was Chicken Broccoli Casserole (or Chicken Divan for you southern folk) and Braden really liked it.  Rose refused to try it.  She is a picky little thing.  
Next, I made sausage balls.  I used some home grown Italian sausage, homemade biscuit mix, and cheese.  Seriously, DON'T buy biscuit mix. You are saving yourself the trouble of measuring baking powder, flour, and salt and you have added preservatives.  So, just make it yourself! Anyway, sausage balls involve mixing the three above ingredients and baking the 1 inch balls.  My Aunt always used to make these for holidays and parties.  I didn't really like them when I was younger when my tender palate couldn't even handle the spice of sausage.  Now, I can at least handle that.  These were yummy and would be good for breakfast, brunch, or appetizers anytime.

So, if like me you aren't great in the kitchen, go get this cookbook and start cooking.  I am going to try some of the desserts next.




No comments:

Post a Comment